Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tarte Flambée

When Len took his leave of absence we were able to spend a bit longer than usual in France. After visiting Jukka and Pipsa in Luxembourg we drove through Alsace. We stopped in Kayserberg for lunch and I had my first tarte flambé. It was enormous, but I managed to eat almost all of it. I have managed to recreate it at home, though sadly I can't cook it in a wood burning oven. Enjoy with a good beer or an Alsatian riesling.

Tarte Flambée

1 pizza crust thinly rolled and stretched into a large rectangle
1 large onion sliced
as much lean bacon as you will allow yourself, sliced
crème fraîche 1/2 to 1 cup
extra virgin olive oil (optional)
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Place a pizza stone in the oven and heat to 500 degrees. Cook the onions in a little butter or olive oil until golden. Mix crème fraîche, onions, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on crust. I cook the bacon before distributing it over the crust, but the French recipes don't. If you like, sprinkle a little evoo over the tarte. Bake until the edges of the crust are browned, 8-10 minutes.

No comments: