Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eureka, a Goat Cheese Salad Len likes!

One of the things Len has never liked is goat cheese and so I even though I love it, I only make dishes that include it when I make something to take somewhere. I found a salad on-line at "the kitchn" and made it to take to a potluck. I found the original recipe too bland even for my timid taste buds and revamped it. To my amazement, when I served Len the leftovers, he asked me to write down what I had done so I could recreate it.

Meyer Lemon Grain Salad with Asparagus and Chevre
4 ounces uncooked farro
4 ounces uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
1 lb asparagus
olive oil
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
3 ounces soft chevre, crumbled
2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced
1 lg shallot, finely diced
1 tblsps olive oil
1 tblsp walnut oil
salt and pepper
chopped Italian parsley

Cook farro and couscous according to directions and allow to cool. Coat the asparagus with olive oil, salt it, and roast it. Slice the asparagus into bite sized pieces. Mix all the ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.
This salad keeps well in the fridge and improves the next day. We had it with leftover chicken breasts and they were great together. The chicken breasts were dusted with salt, herbes de Provence, and chopped garlic, then drizzled with Meyer lemon juice. They were then sautéd in olive oil.

No comments: