Saturday, November 7, 2015

A Lovely Buttery Cookie From My Grandmother Josephine




I never met my grandmother Josephine because she passed away in in 1923, when my mother was only 11. One of my mother's memories of her was of a special cookie she would make that she called gaufres. They were made on the stove top in an iron. If you were to look up gaufres you would find that usually they are Belgian waffles but that is not what my grandmother made. My mother couldn't find a recipe for a cookie like her mother made, so she developed a similar recipe. This is the recipe that she devised. To make these cookies you can use a pizzelle iron.

Gaufres
1 cup butter
1 5/8 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
Cream the butter and the sugar. Sift the dry ingredients. Stir together the vanilla, eggs, the creamed butter and sugar and the dry ingredients. Drop one spoonful at a time of the dough into the pizzelle iron and cook until golden. You will find that the dough is very buttery and you will have to wipe up the extra butter as it melts out of the cookies. Cool on a rack flat or roll the cookies.


No comments: