Saturday, April 19, 2014

Orzo with Carrots

I needed a side dish for dinner and had to come up with something that I could make with what I had on hand, which wasn't much. The only vegetable I had other than salad ingredients was carrots and so I found a recipe that would allow me combine the carrots in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator with some orzo in the cupboard. I made some changes to a recipe I found online at Epicurous.com and ended up with something that was very good. We had the leftovers with some scallops I purchased at the farmer's market the next day and the combination was even better.

Orzo with Carrots
4 medium carrots, peeled
2 Tblsp butter
1 cup orzo
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup chicken broth
1 lg clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup parmesan grated on a microplane grater
2 Tblsp chopped green onions
1 tsp herbes de Provence
Finely chop the carrots, pulsing in a food processor. Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the orzo and the carrots and sauté about 5 minutes. Add the water, broth, and the garlic. Cook uncovered over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese, green onions, and the herbes de Provence. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: