Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My New and Improved Pumpkin Pie

When it came time to make a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving this year I decided that the time had come to improve on my mother's recipe that I had been using for years. I don't like using evaporated milk like she always did and I wanted to up the spice a bit. I ended up combining recipes from Cooks Illustrated Magazine's cookbook and the Simply Recipes Blog, plus a bit of variation of my own.

Pumpkin Pie
single pie crust, partially baked if you like
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups pumpkin puree (16 oz)
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl. Stir in the cream to the eggs and then the pumpkin. Stir in the dry ingredients. Pour filling into crust and bake in a preheated oven at 400º 45 to 50 minutes, until the filling is set 2" from edge. The center should still be wobbly. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. The center will finish cooking as the pie sits.

No comments: