Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Welsh Griddle Cakes

Over 20 years ago I tore this recipe out of Sunset Magazine and tucked It inside my copy of "Sunset Favorite Recipes I". I decided I should add it to my blog to insure I don't lose it. The original recipe called for butter or margarine and back then I used margarine because I thought it was better for us. If one used butter then it would have been salted and so the Sunset version did not call for salt, but I add it because now I bake with unsalted butter. The original recipe did not call for the use of a processor but I have always made the griddle cakes in mine.

Welsh Griddle Cakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tep nutmeg, freshly grated with a microplane is best
6 Tblsp butter
1/2 cup currants
1lg egg white
2 Tblsp milk
Mix the dry ingredients except for the currants in the bowl of a processor. Add the butter which has been cut into chunks and pulse until blended. Lightly beat the egg white and milk with a fork and add to the dry mixture along with the currants. Process just until the dough holds together. Roll the dough on a floured surface until 1/4" thick. Cut with a 2 1/2" wide round cookie cutter and cook on an electric griddle at 325° or in a frying pan over medium low heat. The original recipe calls for a nonstick surface, but my griddle does not have one and I haven't needed to grease it. Cook the griddle cakes until the bottoms are medium brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turn and cook until the other surface is also medium brown. The original recipe calls for sprinkling the warm cakes with sugar but I never have. They are as sweet as I like without the added sugar. Sunset suggested serving them with butter and jam but I have always served them plain.

No comments: